Thursday 18 August 2011

It's Quite Difficult...

... to come up with subjects suitable for blogging - mostly because you have to make them interesting.

Or at least, thought-provoking; but how can you stimulate discussion and opinions when the chosen subject is generally considered quite dull?

I feel that the key is to find a way to relate the subject to the reader - they need to understand how this thing, this person, this event could affect them. Then they can decide if they like it or not, form an opinion, discuss and defend it and insult anyone who thinks otherwise.

I spend lots of my time talking to informed, educated and intelligent people, so when I come across someone who has not formed an opinion of, or even has no knowledge or care over, a well-known event, I can get a little flustered and indignant. Mostly, this tends to revolve around politics. The apathy of many people boggles my mind. The sheer ignorance of some makes me want to commit horrific acts of violence in the name of education and information.

I met somebody once who didn't know how many days there are in the year. She was in her late teens. When I told her, she asked how I managed to remember it.

Remember it? I don't remember it. I've known it so long that it is carved into my head in eighty-foot high letters, like some vast primitive human's cave doodle on the inside of my skull. The other little cavemen in there dance around a fire, chanting the number over and over again, along with figures such as my own birthday, the first few digits of pi, the number of days in the week, my PIN number, the temperature of absolute zero and so on. We all have certain things inside our head that are ingrained, carved, plugged into us, that we just know, without taking the effort of remembering. For someone to lack something so simple is just.. beyond comprehension.

I think the problem is that this situation is only going to get worse. I don't know about you but I have noticed a massive deterioration in behaviour and education in younger generations. I think the recent rioting across England is a symptom of this. Don't worry, I'm not here to talk about those, enough drivel has been spouted concerning them the past few weeks.

Ignorance is not bliss, it's stupid. It'll ruin your life and those of your children too, if you let them go down the same moronic path. It is a waste of potential, of effort and of energy. If you are not willing to make the most of your short stay here on Earth by learning as much as you can, making intelligent, informed decisions and passing that knowledge on, then what is the point in existing?



No comments:

Post a Comment