Thursday 3 November 2011

Freshness

I have a new computer!

It's a rather impressive beast, the main tower unit is roughly half as big again, (if not more) as my old one, all matt black metal, plastic and hexagonal fan vents. My old PC was a faithful if tired old companion, having been with me for four years or so. During that time he had multiple nervous breakdowns, a pretty serious one leaving him somewhat crippled a few months ago. The version of XP was corrupted... somehow... so the hard drive had to be split up and a clean new version put on beside it - it worked, but he was never the same after that. He got slower and slower, and had repeated issues with memory running out and so on.

It was time for a new one, and I am very, very grateful to my partner for hooking me up with my lovely new machine. The old one is going to be put in the living room with a new hard drive and hooked up to the TV as a media PC, which is cool, but I'm not sure how much use it will get, considering we have an Xbox 360 and the V+ Media box already hooked up.

My new PC is named Ceres, mostly after the dwarf planet that inhabits the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, but then I soon realised that is also the name of the Roman Goddess of agriculture, grain crops and fertility. My huge, hulking computer is a girl!

Oh well. So far everything has been great. I'm loving Windows 7, and the ability to run more than two programs at once is refreshing. One thing I realised yesterday whilst transferring my most valuable files (music albums) across the network, was just how much clutter I had accumulated across various folders - things I had held onto because they might be useful or valuable someday - and when it came down to it, I realised they were useless and that I would not miss them. So I didn't transfer anything except my music collection, some photographs and a few stories and things I had written that I intend to work on again someday; I left 98% of the couple hundred GBs worth of stuff behind - and I was right - I don't miss it. I feel great having a clean, empty, fast computer that isn't bogged down by years of collected garbage.

Perhaps it would be good if we could upgrade our lives sometimes and leave all the baggage and trash behind us..

No comments:

Post a Comment